Saturday, August 20, 2005

Views of Kalalau Valley



We drove up the road by Waimea Canyon to Koke'e Park one day, and then up to the Kalalau Valley lookout. I hadn't seen the valley from the top before, and it was great to see it so soon after hiking inside the valley. I could see, looking down, why this valley was considered sacred--the pictures really don't do it justice. I stopped by again today, as part of my saying good-bye to Kauai. Yesterday I was very lucky to take a boat trip up the Na Pali Coast and see the valley from a third perspective. The captain said that the Hawaiians were so connected to the ocean that they believed that heaven was under water. I thought of that today looking down into Kalalau Valley. The clouds hung low over the valley, and it was hard to tell what was sky and what was sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home