Monday, August 15, 2005

Kalalau Adventures


My first day there I just lay around recovering from the hike. (I had fallen and had some cuts that I was having trouble keeping clean and the day before that I had busted my foot on the reef while trying to surf, and had sunburns on the backside of my body. Fortunately some nurses were present to tell me that nothing was getting infected.) The next day, rejuvenated, I borrowed snorkel gear from my neighbors and explored the sea caves. Then this hippie guy who lived there led me into the valley. (This is the kind of place where people go by names like "Free.") There are a lot of mango trees, pools, and waterfalls. When I left him I ran into my neighbors, who had met a group that had kayaked in. Kayaking is the way to go, I have to say. They were finishing up lunch by a waterfall and offered me a Guinness that had been cooling in the waterfall. The whole group of us hiked up the ridge, which was called Spirit Ridge, to see the view. We stayed up there until sunset and then I joined them in one of the caves where they were camping for a dinner of Mexican food, tequila, and chocolate-covered pecans. It sure beat the ramen I'd brought, and they had a little stereo to play jazz and solar-powered lamps.

The next day I headed back to Princeville to pick up Dasher. My first stop, however, was for a big plate lunch of fish and chips. All I wanted was some good protein and a beer. My plate lunch provided the protein, and Dean offered me a beer, reading my mind, when I stopped to get Dasher. Kalalau is a hard place to leave...it's one of the most incredible places I've ever seen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Awesome blog!I've really enjoyed reading you!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home