Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Front Porch


A picture of the front porch of the shack (yes, trying to use up a roll of film). I've since added a tiki torch, which helps with mosquitos and adds atmosphere. At first I was afraid that that "atmosphere" would be straight out of Animal House, but Delpha's "Love Is the Answer" sign (not visible) balances it out.

The little shed on the right contains the generator, which I use to operate the pump that pushes the water up to the solar containers above, which heat water for my showers. To the right of the generator shed you can see part of one of the tanks that store water from the roof (you can see the white "rubbermaid" logo). Just to the left of generator shed, below my rag, is a little brown package. This is a ti leaf (also called "ki"; K and T are interchangeable in Hawaiian, as are R and L, so that "taro" is also "kalo") wrapped around a rock, which is how Hawaiians offer prayers, like Mexican retablos. This was given to Gay when she had the tree farm blessed in a traditional Hawaiian ceremony.

This picture is too small to show all my super-expensive Dr. Haushka and Aveda products. It still cracks me up to see all that nice product sitting on the porch of a shack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home