Monday, July 25, 2005

Hope and Union


I have to step out of Kauai and back to my other island for a moment--I've wanted to post something on my friend Sigrid's restaurant/cafe, Hope and Union, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for some time now. Her cafe became an important part of my life before I left ny; I was stopping in several times a week, for chai, a glass of wine, or brunch (she even keeps a copy of my key in case I lock myself out, and I'm not the only one in east/south billyburg who can say that). So food lovers everywhere, particularly those in ny now, or who might be visiting in the future, take note. (For those who don't fall into this group, here's a little slice of my life back in Br'klyn.)
Siggy and her husband, John, used to work for Mario Batali at Babbo (that's where they met, in fact), and they are both super talented, wonderful people. I didn't realize what gnocchi could be until I ate John's, and Siggy's cranberry orange scones were my reason for living Wednesdays this spring (we had our meetings at my heinous job on Wednesdays). Their coffee and chai are top notch, if you happen to be in the neighborhood in the mornings, and the weekend brunches are worth the trek (trust me). They have a great patio, and though they no longer have a regular dinner service, they do a Thursday evening grill out. Siggy has created a real community where there was a definite need, and her generous personality has as much to do with that as the food (and maybe some of that comes through in the food...there's some real Like Water for Chocolate magic going on here), so if you get a chance, treat yourself, and support a great local spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home