Monday, June 27, 2005

Waimea Canyon

Just a quick post to let everyone know I'm still alive and well in the shack. This week I have vowed to take some pictures and get them up here, so that you can all see where I'm living. I did a hike this weekend into Waimea Canyon, the "Grand Canyon of Hawaii," and forgot my camera (and more disasterously, my Cliff bars). But it was beautiful, and smelled so good, like eucalyptus. My trusty Geo overheated on the way up the mountain, but Earl, the guy who's renting to me, delivered a Buick within an hour. I'm pretty sure that this is the same Buick we had growing up (seriously, the same year and everything), but it has a pretty good engine. (For $400/month, including insurance, I can't complain too much.) It's pretty much the ugliest, oldest car in any parking lot wherever I am, which is saying a lot as Kauai has its share of clunkers. But it got me up the mountain and back down again. And the engine is more powerful (and gas-guzzling) than the Geo. I thought I'd just chilled out so much that I no longer felt like speeding here, but now I'm realizing that it was just that the Geo didn't have much get up and go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home