Saturday, July 16, 2005

Surf Lesson Went Great!

The surfing class turned out to be really fun, and great exercise. There were only three of us for the afternoon class: a middle-aged lawyer from Boise, Idaho, named Jack; a ten-year-old from Laguna Beach, California, named Jake, who had surfed before and was already trying to "hang five"; and me. The woman who signed us up was from Jersey, so we talked about the East coast, and after that the surf instructor, a native Hawaiian, gave me a hard time for being from Brooklyn. For instance, when we were still on land, he had us each get on the board, then he would lift up the end and simulate waves so that we could practice our balance. With me, he kept yelling out (there was a bit of audience for our lesson), "Don't hit me! She's from Brooklyn. Don't hit me, Brooklyn!" When we got into the water, the ten-year-old turned to me and said in a low voice, "Hey, where's Brooklyn?"

Anyway, I got up almost every time, so I guess I did right by my borough. It's much harder, of course, when someone isn't there to pick the waves for you...

Also, the instructor said that he had made his name by teaching his pet pig. He said that if he could teach a pig to surf, he could teach anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home